master build broken on macOS due to Firebird update

Ilmari Lauhakangas ilmari.lauhakangas at libreoffice.org
Sat Jan 6 16:00:22 UTC 2024

On 6.1.2024 17.53, Patrick Luby wrote:
> On 2024-01-06 10:20 a.m., Patrick Luby wrote:
>> All,
>>
>> I am not sure how this update built successfully on macOS on Jenkins,
>> but the Firebird update is filled with hundreds of sprintf calls like
>> the following. Xcode has marked sprintf as deprecated since a couple
>> of versions ago:
>>
>> /Volumes/LOBuilds/lode/dev/core/workdir/UnpackedTarball/firebird/temp/Debug/isql/show.cpp:6986:5: warning: 'sprintf' is deprecated: This function is provided for compatibility reasons only.  Due to security concerns inherent in the design of sprintf(3), it is highly recommended that you use snprintf(3) instead. [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
>>                                  sprintf(info, "Number of DB pages
>> free = %" SQUADFORMAT"%s", value_out, separator);
>>
>> So how do we suppress these "en masse" when doing debug builds?
 >
> Bad news: this update is worse than I thought when doing a clean debug
> build after doing a make clean. I am seeing a lengthy list of all sorts
> of different warnings being converted to errors. There are still a lot
> of sprintf errors, but now there are even more other, different warnings.
>
> See attached build log for a list of warnings converted to errors that I
> am seeing.
>
> Can anyone actually do a debug build on any other platform on master
> with this update? IIRC Windows also has to suppress deprecation
> warnings, at least for sprintf, but maybe I am wrong.

I am getting a build failure with Clang and --enable-dbgutil:
https://gerrit.libreoffice.org/c/core/+/152016/40#message-9baf3396b2a8714dabf6fbf6eec72d8f9a318ee2

mold: fatal: cannot open loader_path/../Debug/firebird: No such file or
directory
clang-16: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see
invocation)
make[6]: *** [Makefile.examples:138: ../../gen/examples/empbuild] Error 1
make[5]: *** [Makefile:600: examples] Error 2
make[4]: *** [Makefile:201: master_process] Error 2
make[3]: *** [Makefile:72: Debug] Error 2
make[2]: *** [Makefile:6: Debug] Error 2
make[1]: ***
[/home/user/libreoffice/external/firebird/ExternalProject_firebird.mk:30:
/home/user/libreoffice/workdir/ExternalProject/firebird/build] Error 1

Ilmari