GSoC: Libreoffice Theme WIN (not getting stdout, cannot do printfdebugging)

Mike Kaganski mikekaganski at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 2 06:41:05 UTC 2024

On 01.07.2024 23:42, Sahil Gautam wrote:
> Hi, I successfully built libreoffice on windows using LODE. The problem
> is that I cannot see stdout on the terminal, or in vscode's terminal. I
> rely on that for checking if opening this dialog trips this breakpoint
> or not, and how many times does it do so. using a debugger seems a good
> choice, but it's a hassle considering that UI can trigger a function
> changing colors n times, and I don't want to press F5 n times, it's not
> feasible. Is there any way to get the stdout on the terminal?

Since you develop on Windows, a natural choice would be using Visual
Studio for debugging. And it allows setting a special kind of
breakpoints, which outputs a string (maybe with different variables
values), and continued execution. This is in a sense superior to printf,
because it doesn't need a modification and compilation, but you can do
it at the runtime, changing the output dynamically, enabling and
disabling the breakpoints. The downside is its lower performance; so
e.g. putting such a breakpoint to e.g. OUString constructor would make
your debugging session crawl and last for days :-)

In a reply to another mail, I mention that there is a proper console
mode on Windows since version 6.3. However, Cygwin's mintty has never
beed affected by the problem, so if you run from mintty, it should
output properly, even if you run soffice.exe. In Windows' cmd.exe,
calling soffice without an extension runs soffice.com automatically, and
also should give the proper console output. But of course, this is all
general considerations, and to advise something concrete, specifics of
your problem are required.

--
Best regards,
Mike Kaganski