regular expressions in XMATCH and XLOOKUP

Regina Henschel rb.henschel at t-online.de
Tue Jun 18 13:00:59 UTC 2024

Hi all, hi Balázs,

yesterday the ODF TC had a call with guests from Microsoft, Excel
experts. They told us, that they are going to implement regular
expression search for XMATCH and XLOOKUP in a way that they introduce a
a value "3" for parameter Match_mode. The ODF TC will follow that in the
specification of these functions and at the same time specify, that the
host dependent properties HOST-USE-REGULAR-EXPRESSIONS and
HOST-USE-WILDCARDS (file format table:use-regular-expressions and
table:use-wildcards) will be ignored by these functions.

I think it is a good idea to make the function results independent from
global settings.

I suggest to change our implementation of XLOOKUP and XMATCH
immediately. In case that will not be possible for version 24.8., add a
warning to the release notes, that the functions are experimental and
the exact syntax and behavior might be changed in a later version.

Kind regards,
Regina