[TDF Community] [Board Discuss] LibreOffice - peer2peer collaboration bits

Heiko Tietze heiko.tietze at documentfoundation.org
Sun May 5 07:19:55 UTC 2024

On 04.05.24 12:05 PM, Thorsten Behrens wrote:
>> Heiko wrote:
>>> How to connect two or more individuals? It requires routing
>>> What could be achievable on TDF infrastructure?
>>>
>> Given what I've said above - let's try to make this completely
>> independent of TDF infrastructure. Either with no switching-server
>> at all or with something minimal that hopefully might not even need
>> TDF continuously maintaining a server. Note that maintenance by us
>> also has privacy implications, much more so than third-party-less
>> P2P.
>>
> Yup. At any rate, requiring any kind of centralized server
> infrastructure has inevitable scalability challenges. It would still
> be useful if TDF could help with bootstrapping whatever server
> infrastructure will be needed, though.

I believe it's crucial for the success to have this networking open and free for
everyone. And I cannot think of many alternatives to TDF, hosting the discovery
and handshake around LibreOffice Technology. While we clearly should not route
the actual content through the server for privacy and performance reason, it
needs to be some kind of registration to allow connections at a random end-point
and to join one and more other to this address.

Probably not a big deal to do the connection and to establish some kind of
server-client networking, and maybe existing protocols provide all the necessary
stuff but I wonder how well it scales. Is average customer hardware capable to
keep track of 1M users at the same time? Or 100M?

Given all that is possible, are there non-technical implications that requires
us to govern the process?