[Libva] [gst-devel] Video Hackfest conclusions

Julien Isorce julien.isorce at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 02:16:56 PST 2009

Hi,

I have a comment about this:

(From http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoHackfest/Conclusions:)

"The GLX specification does not allow binding the same GLX context in
multiple threads at the same time. This is a requirement for both Cairo's
and GStreamer's threading model. An extension was proposed and initial code
developed to support this requirement in the same way as Apple's GL does by
default. Windows does not support this and would require potentially
expensive fallback code."

-->The other solution would be to use OpenGL context sharing. But it
requires to have this:

(from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoHackfest/Notes)
"Eric: One thing I'd like is if two neighboring elements could determine
whether they are running in the same thread"

I already asked gstreamer developers in the past to add support for this but
this is not an easy task and only useful for opengl right now.
The result would be to remove this :
(from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoHackfest/Notes)
"So what gst-plugins-gl does is to proxy all OpenGL communication
through a single
thread associated with the context"

For example in the pipeline:
videotestsrc ! glupload ! glfilterA ! queue ! glfilterB ! glimagesink
It would have one opengl context for glupload ! glfilterA since their chain
func is running in the same thread (if the user does not manually push
buffer itself form an other thread, I do not know all the possible case but
we could ensure that they are running in the same thread).
This opengl context would be shared with the opengl context used by
glfilterB ! glimagesink
Moreover, thoses 2 opengl contexst (shared together) could work at the same
time (they would work on different textures at the same time)

And so no need the overhead due to the gl thread is avoid, (and the property
"each opengl context is made current only one time" is kept. Note that this
property is already true in the current gst-plugins-gl implementation)

I have already demonstrated the validity of using OpenGL context sharing in
the implementation of the glmixer base class.
The glmosaic element (which will be renamed to glmixercube) is a glmixer.
(availaible in gst-plugins-gl/git)
For example in the following pipeline:

videotestsrc ! glupload ! glfilterA ! queue ! glmixer name=m ! glfilterC !
glimagesink
                    glupload ! glfilterB ! queue ! .m

There are 3 opengl contexts shared together. (there is a glthread per opengl
context)
One used by glupload ! glfilterA, one other for glupload ! glfilterB, and a
last one used by glmixer  ! glfilterC ! glimagesink

Finally, if we would have the following support:
"Eric: One thing I'd like is if two neighboring elements could determine
whether they are running in the same thread"
We could avoid the use of the a thread per opengl context.
Moreover it would not need what you suggested:

"The GLX specification does not allow binding the same GLX context in
multiple threads at the same time"

Well, internally, maybe the mecanism/result is exactly the same:
I mean, maybe binding the same GLX context in multiple threads at the same
time is equivalent to have several opengl contexts shared together and each
one used in only one thread (a gstreamer streaming thread).
If this is really equivalent (at least for our use) maybe it would be more
portable to use the context sharing solution, because the feature is already
there.

Actually I think using opengl context sharing is more efficient because
several context can be used at the same time. (not possible with the same
context in multiple-thread. Well it depends on the implementation that you
are going to do)

I could help in the future about that:
(from http://gstreamer.freedesktop.org/wiki/VideoHackfest/Conclusions)
"Actions:

   - Get review of cairo-gl/gst-plugins-cairo code from gst-plugins-gl
   developers
   - Port gst-plugins-gl elements to use Cairo early to ensure required
   features are available"

Sincerely
Julien Isorce

Hi,