[Libva] segmentation fault with vainfo

Achim Hofmann news at achim-hofmann.com
Thu Apr 14 14:04:01 PDT 2011

I'm using libva, the xvba-video backend as well as the vaapi-enabled
mplayer from splitted-desktop.com for a couple of weeks now and watching
HD content works fine so far on my Gentoo Linux system.

These days I discovered that the current development version of VLC
ships with vaapi and libbluray support. So I installed the most current
ebuild and gave it a try. Unfortunately video playback is eighter slow
or not present at all. VLC returns the following:

[0x86af1d4] avcodec decoder: Using VA API version 0.32 for hardware
decoding.
libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva: Trying to open /usr/lib/va/drivers/fglrx_drv_video.so
libva: va_openDriver() returns 0
xvba_video: XVBA_GetSurface(): status 2

I'm not really sure whether I should have a good feeling with the last
line or not.

Okay, let's have a look at the output of vainfo:

libva: libva version 0.32.0-sds2
Xlib:  extension "XFree86-DRI" missing on display ":0.0".
libva: va_getDriverName() returns 0
Segmentation fault

Hmm, that looks bad. dmesg says:

[  142.697302] vainfo[4713]: segfault at 0 ip b75bf8c3 sp bfd6de3c error
4 in libc-2.11.3.so[b754c000+140000]

However, mplayer from splitted-desktop.com works like a charm without
any errors.

I re-emerged libva, xvba-video as well as my fglrx driver (ati-driver) a
few times and also tried different versions of them, but unfortunately
without any changes.

Here's some more info about my system:

lspci | grep VGA
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV730 Pro AGP
[Radeon HD 4600 Series]

Installed packages:
x11-libs/libva-0.32.0_p2
x11-libs/xvba-video-0.7.8
x11-drivers/ati-drivers-11.2
sys-libs/glibc-2.11.3
sys-devel/gcc-4.4.5
media-video/ffmpeg-0.6_p25767
media-video/vlc-9999
media-libs/libbluray-9999

Version of mplayer I'm using:
mplayer-vaapi-20110127

Do you have any idea what could be the reason for the segmentation fault
of vainfo? If I have to add more information, please let me know.

Thank you!

Kind regards,
Achim Hofmann