[Libva] Get image data from VaapiSurface

Sivaramkrishna siva.ram at freesystems.biz
Fri Dec 2 03:35:32 PST 2011

Hi all,

I am trying to perform hardware accelerated decode of 720P h264 encoded
stream using Gstreamer Vaapi decode and Vaapisink plugins .I am using
ATI Radeon 5600 GPU .

My requirement is to get the image data from the Vaapi Surface after
decoding .I want to perform some operations on this image like scaling
,composing the two images .

As of now i tried to extract the image from the Vaapisurface by using
the functions in Gstreamer Vaapi library ,

image = gst_vaapi_surface_derive_image(surf);

value = gst_vaapi_surface_get_image(surf,image);

the about functions were unsuccessful and i couldn't get the image data
from the Vaapi surface .

Is there any way i can perform scaling and composing directly on the
Vaapi surfaces without extracting the image data ?what do you suggest
,should i use gstreamer vaapi plugins or libva API's directly to do the
above mentioned tasks ?if i can work using libva API's ,can anyone
explain me how to perform scaling and composing of two vaapi surfaces?

Any help is highly appreciated .

Thanks,
N Sivaramkrishna.