[Libva] Looping a video with gstreamer vaapi

Pierre Gaston pierre.gaston at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 04:20:20 PDT 2012

Hi,

Not sure if it's the correct place to talk about gstreamer-vaapi, if
not please tell where it might be more appropriate.
(I repost it since the bouncer doesn't seem to let the original message
pass---too many attachement)

I have an AMD E350 with catalyst version 11.11, latest libva,
gstreamer-vaapi, clutter-gst.

I'm trying to play a video in a loop, my goal is to use clutter-gst
and it works great. (Thanks to all the people who work on these
projects).

But If I tell it to loop, I notice that everytime it restarts, around
50m of memory is allocated, quickly leading to memory exhaustion.

On   http://codepad.org/NLZ8HQNp   is the output of the video_player test
application with debug, misc, media and buffering enabled

(I also tried to seek back to 0 when progress is over 90% and while
everything looks ok, the video stays on a still frame every even
iteration, but that's probably another  problem).

I wanted to see if the problem is in clutter_gst or gstreamer-vaapi,
so I tried to reproduce the loop with a test case (
http://codepad.org/MNfvaX4r )
seeking to 0 upon EOS and it doesn't seem to leak, but  there is a problem
with the clock, the video is like paused, then played very fast.
(here http://codepad.org/CtcLGQAg is the output of this test)

I also tried to set the state to NULL and then to PLAY upon EOS
( http://codepad.org/YFDNjdv1 ), this leads to leaks (it seems the driver
is reloaded
every time)
but I get a segmentation fault after a few iterations, before memory
exhaustion (here http://codepad.org/0ogdVqwA is the output and here
http://codepad.org/0lerTT6a
 the backtrace from gdb).

Please let me know if this should be posted elsewhere or if I can help
or provide any other kind of information.

Thanks
Pierre