[Libva] mplayer vaapi : how to decode to a file ?

Amstoutz Marc Marc.Amstoutz at thomson-networks.com
Thu Jun 14 09:49:28 PDT 2012

Hello,

I'm trying to transcode a video using mkfifo, mplayer to decode, and x264 to encode.
In order to offload the CPU, I want to use decoder-hw assist.
I experienced that -vo vaapi makes use of decoder hw assist, but does display the decoded output.
Is there an option to use decoder-hw assist, whith file output ?

Regards,
Marc

  1.  mkfifo fifo.y4m
  2.  mplayer-rc1  -nosound -quiet -benchmark -vo yuv4mpeg:file=fifo.y4m  video.avi &>/dev/null &
  3.  x264 -o video.264 --progress --fps 23.976 -B 500 fifo.y4m
  4.  rm fifo.y4m