[Libva] Will the intel-driver VPP support motion-adaptive deinterlacing on SNB/IVB?

Simon Farnsworth simon.farnsworth at onelan.co.uk
Fri Aug 30 03:43:11 PDT 2013

Hello,

We're attempting to use VA-API on Intel Gen 6 and Gen 7 hardware to replace software
decoders, and we're hitting quality issues with the VPP deinterlacing support. Our
CPUs range from Celeron 847 (low-end SNB) to Core i3-3220 (mid-range IVB).

Specifically, it appears to only support bob deinterlacing, which on the common "ticker
tape" horizontal scrolling text used on news channels looks awful (you can see the
alternating fields bob up and down.

The description of the deinterlace algorithm in the public SNB documentation, volume
4 part 1 section 2.8, suggests that the hardware is capable of motion adaptive
deinterlacing to get better results. Will this be enabled in the intel driver at some
point?
--
Simon Farnsworth
Software Engineer