[Libva] Quality of the scaled H264 decoded image

Ratin ratin3 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 16:18:03 PST 2013

I am decoding a 720 P video stream from a camera to 1080 P surfaces and
displaying them on the screen. I am seeing noticable noise and pulsating
which is directly related to the I frame interval (aparently), the lowest
I-frame interval I can specify for the camera is  1 second and selecting
that in addition to bitrate of 8192 kbps makes is slightly better but still
a lot of noise. A software decoded/scaled video looks all smooth.

What I am wondering is what's the default scaling algorithm being used in
vaapi/intel driver and how do I specify better scaling algorithms like
bi-cubic etc.and possibly specify the strength of deblocking filter level
as well, and what can I do to reduce the pulsating ?

Any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ratin