[Libva] Playback Issue

Sander Jansen s.jansen at gmail.com
Tue May 14 06:57:29 PDT 2013

I'm having issues playing back certain videos using mplayer and vaapi. It
usually results in the audio getting out of sync pretty quickly with video
not being able to keep up. mplayer usually will spit out a message that the
system is too slow to play this, but system almost uses no CPU !?
I'm using the latest Intel drivers (2.21.6) and va-intel-driver 1.0.20 on a
Ivy Bridge hardware (Intel NUC*).
Comparing two videos where one doesn't work and the other plays fine:

slow.mp4**
1 video H264 High at 3.1, 2588.880 secs, 1833 kbps, 1280x720 @ 25.000000 fps
2 audio MPEG-4 AAC LC, 2588.885 secs, 152 kbps, 44100 Hz

plays_fine.mp4
1 video H264 High at 3.1, 548.666 secs, 2913 kbps, 1280x720 @ 24.000029 fps
2 audio MPEG-4 AAC LC, 548.687 secs, 256 kbps, 44100 Hz

Is this perhaps an issue of framerate? I also have the same exact problem
when I switch from vaapi to the gl backend of mplayer. The x11 backend
seems to work fine (no sync issues), but shows frame tearing.

*
http://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/motherboards/desktop-motherboards/desktop-board-d33217gke.html

**https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm174EquYLc (video can be downloaded with
the various command line tools like youtube-dl)