[Libva] VA support for encoding the output of an OpenGL application

Chris Healy cphealy at gmail.com
Wed May 29 22:47:00 PDT 2013

I have the need to take the output of a fullscreen application that uses
the OpenGL API and encode it to H.264 and stream it.  I see VAAPI with Ivy
Bridge supports H.264 encode but I don't see any explicit examples that
demonstrate encoding the output of an application.

I'm working on an Ivy Bridge based i7 and will be using the embedded
graphics for OpenGL rendering at 1280x720.

I can use OpenGL or OpenGL ES and would prefer not to need X as there is no
need for windowing.  It seems that I may be able to use EGL for render
management too through Mesa.

What I don't know though is how to get these rendered images directly over
to libva for H.264 encode and subsequent streaming.

I heard there might be a necessary API to support this in the staging
branch which allows
"creating a VA surface from an external buffer type".

What is this API called and is it planned to be merged to trunk anytime
soon?

Are there any plans to create a example test application that renders
something in some flavor of OpenGL and runs it through an H.264 encode in
libva?