[Libva] intra refresh mode for h264 video (intel driver)

Matt Pekar mpekar at raineyelectronics.com
Wed Mar 12 10:58:42 PDT 2014

Is anyone aware if this is possible to do through libva with the intel
driver?  The technique I'm referring to involves embedding a horizontal
slice of the full image within each P frame.  This ensures there won't be
large IDR frames coming up every X frames in a live stream.

In libva, I've tried breaking the picture into slices, and also adjusting
the IDR settings.  Most of the time it just doesn't work at all.  The
closest I can get to the desired behavior is to go entirely to regular P
frames, which is actually pretty good aside from glitchiness on startup
(and some decoders not handling it at all).

Is intra refresh possible in libva?  Are there any other techniques that
libva can use that would help avoid IDR frame spikes?