[Libva] Summary of the discussion about Rockchip VPU in Gstreamer

Randy Li randy.li at rock-chips.com
Tue Sep 20 01:18:24 UTC 2016

Hello all media staff
Dear Mr.Verkuil
Dear Mr.Osciak
  I talked with Nicolas and Mr.ceyusa in the yesterday and early morning
of today.
   I think I have made them get the situation of state-less Video
Acceleration Unit(VPU) and Rockchip for VA-API driver. We both agree
that creating a new C API bindings to V4L2 is making wheel again.
Mr.Ceyusa suggest that there could be a middle library to parse those
codec settings to V4L2 extra controls array, and push back to Gstreamer,
leaving the V4L2 related job to Gstreamer.
   I agree with him. I think the Gstreamer then could get rid of
hardware detail, even not need to know internal data structure in kernel
driver of codec parameters.
   Later, the ad-n770 joined us. He gave me some idea about the
relationship with VA-API and DXVA2. I found we do need some extra data
beyond those data used by VA-API to reconstruct a frame, it is a
limitation in HW. We better regard this kind of HW to a Acceleration
Unit rather than Full decoder/Encoder. Also ad-n770 pointer out that it
seems that Rockchip HW could do the reodering job, which is not need
actually as it is done by Gstreamer, but I am not sure whether the
Hardware does and I could disable this logic.
   I am sorry I can't attend the conference in Berlin. But I hope we
could keep in discussion in this topic, and offering more information to
you before the meetings.
   Currently, I would still work on VA-API framework and I am learning
something about codec through a book, I hope that it make me explaining
the situation easily.

--
Randy Li
The third produce department