[LightDM] Hard dependency on AccountsService

PCMan pcman.tw at gmail.com
Wed Aug 17 18:43:42 PDT 2011

Putting something in git.freedesktop.org does not automatically make it a
standard.
I did not remember that poeple had consensus on this one.
Of course, this is a good thing, but this caused portability issues as some
other systems may not adopt this.
Two good examples are udisks and PolicyKit which should be portable but
finally became Linux-specific.
OpenSolaris and others have different security models for which Polkit is
not suitable.
UDisks is too Linux-centric and is built on top of udev and there are no
other systems plan to support it.
Unless this gets wide adoption, adding a hard dependence to this is not a
good idea.
It can be an optional feature, but at least for LXDE, I do not think that we
should rely on this.
Something like PolicyKit brings many problems already. I'd like to call this
Dbus hell or *Kit hell.
We have more and more dbus *Kit. IMO we're now moving away from KISS
principle and beauty of UNIX.