[LightDM] How do I start a program when X starts?

Jonathan Schuster jonathan.p.schuster at gmail.com
Thu Aug 18 12:14:14 PDT 2011

I'm having some problems getting my composite manager (cairo-compmgr) to
start up with X when using LightDM. The Arch wiki recommends putting it in
.xinitrc (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cairo_Compmgr#Configuration),
but neither that nor .xsession seem to run when I log in. What's the
recommend way to start a program when X starts when using LightDM?

I have a feeling this question comes from my own lack of general knowledge
around LightDM and X sessions, so please feel free to point me towards some
better reference documentation. I tried looking up docs on X, but I had a
hard time finding one centralized location that gave me an introduction to
the terms and concepts I should know when dealing with X.

Thanks,
Jonathan