[LightDM] How do I start a program when X starts?

Yves-Alexis Perez corsac at debian.org
Thu Aug 18 14:48:06 PDT 2011

On jeu., 2011-08-18 at 14:30 -0700, Bryce Harrington wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 02:14:14PM -0500, Jonathan Schuster wrote:
> > I'm having some problems getting my composite manager (cairo-compmgr) to
> > start up with X when using LightDM. The Arch wiki recommends putting it in
> > .xinitrc (https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Cairo_Compmgr#Configuration),
> > but neither that nor .xsession seem to run when I log in. What's the
> > recommend way to start a program when X starts when using LightDM?
>
> Does ~/.xprofile work?

.profile is for login shells.

> I don't know why .xinitrc and .xsession don't work (or why we have three
> files purporting to do the same thing...)

.xinitrc is when your run xinit, which is not the case here.

In Debian we have a .xsessionrc script which is sourced by a script
in /etc/X11/Xsession.d (which are run by the /etc/X11/Xsession wrapper).
The Xsession.d folder is Debian specific but you might have something
like that in Arch.

Regards,
--
Yves-Alexis