[LightDM] Remote login to Ubuntu with VNC

Jean-Michel Bouffard jmbouffard at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 07:51:27 PST 2011

I want to add access to my Ubuntu 11.10 machine over vnc. I tried two
things that are not exactly working as I want.

First I simply tried to run Xvnc with the following  command:
> sudo /usr/bin/Xvnc :1 -query localhost -geometry 1680x1050 -depth 16
-once -fp /usr/share/fonts/X11/misc -DisconnectClients=0 -NeverShared
passwordFile=/root/.vncpasswd

This option works but when I connect to my vnc server it stays in the
default X view and never goes to the login screen. I had a similar problem
with previous versions of Ubuntu but I could activate "remote login" in gdm
but I cannot find an equivalent option in lightdm in Ubuntu 11.10. Is there
any equivalent option?

Next, after googling for a while I saw that lightdm is natively supporting
Xvnx so I added these lines in lightdm.conf as mentioned in the
documentation:
[VNCServer]
enabled=true
port=5902
width=1680
height=1050
depth=8

In this case I can connect to the server with vncclient but I always get
"No password configured for VNC Auth". I tried to run "sudo vncpasswd" to
set a root password for xvnc but it does not work. I also specified "sudo
vncpasswd /root/.vncpasswd" and "sudo vncpasswd /root/.vnc/passwd" because
I tought these were the default pw files for root but it did not work. In
/var/log/lightdm/lightdm.log I can see that ligthdm calls "/usr/bin/Xvnc :1
-auth /var/run/lightdm/root/:1 -inetd -nolisten tcp -geometry 1680x1050
-depth 8" but no passwd file is specified. So how could I specify a
password for this VNC access?

I hope I included enough details. Thanks for you help...

--
Jean-Michel