[LightDM] can't connect to display before login

Alfonso Fiore alfonso.fiore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 10:45:23 PDT 2011

Hello,

my apologies I'm not an expert, so maybe I'm wrong in looking here for my
solution, but I think it's worth a try.

In my previous distribution release (Ubuntu 10.10) with GDM I managed to
have x11vnc run at startup adding something to /etc/gdm/Init/Default.

Now, with LightDM, I have two questions:

- where can I put a hook to automatically start x11vnc to remotely connect
at startup?

and most importantly:

- why does x11vnc not run until I logged in with my user? with GDM I was
able to connect using a vnc client and get the login prompt. Now if I try to
start x11vnc it won't work until a user logged into the system. How can I
connect with a vnc client to the login prompt with LightDM?

Thank you very much.

cheers,
alfonso