[LightDM] can't connect to display before login

Alfonso Fiore alfonso.fiore at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 14:43:50 PDT 2011

Hello Guido,

thank you so much. It sounds great.

Now my /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf looks like:

[SeatDefaults]
greeter-session=unity-greeter
user-session=ubuntu

[VNCServer]
enabled=true
port=5900

but after restarting lightdm (sudo restart lightdm) the port is not open:

dude at box:~$ netstat -ln | grep 5900
dude at box:~$

I also tried to reboot, but the result is the same.

do you have any suggestion? maybe some missing package?