[LightDM] pymouth and sysvinit

Raymond Wooninck tittiatcoke at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 04:38:03 PDT 2012

Hi Ludwig,

On Thursday, April 19, 2012, Ludwig Nussel <ludwig.nussel at suse.de> wrote:

> Do you have any plans wrt plymouth on sysvinit? I'm currently adjusting

I am not sure what you mean with sysvinit ? If this is the old boot method,
then I wonder why we should spend here as that things are now run by systemd.

If you are talking about enhancing the full boot experience and starting to
integrate Plymouth more and more into the scripts that are run by systemd (or
sysvinit), then this would be for me indeed the next logical step.

At this moment we have the basic support present for plymouth and if nobody
reports any issues with it, then I am going to move forward into this
direction.

> the boot.crypto scripts to also prompt using plymouth. There's however
> not only cryptsetup which can be fed by pipe from plymouth but also e.g.
> fsck which might ask questions. What's the correct action there? Just call
> "plymouth hide-splash"?

Plymouth hide-splash should give you a text screen back. However I am not sure
if this is going to work.

We have the following options :

1)	plymouth ask-for-password  --prompt="<text>"
  This one is used by the boot-luks.sh script and the user input is hidden

2)	plymouth ask-question --prompt#"<The Question>"
  This one works similar to the ask-for-password, but shows what the user
typed

3)	plymouth display-message --text="<The Text to display>"
 Just displays the message.

I will start looking into fsck and other init scripts.

Thanks

Regards

Raymond