[LightDM] Using LightDM as a headless XDMCP server without physical graphics card

Jeffrey Langerak j.langerak at me.com
Mon Feb 13 01:11:38 PST 2012

Hi,

I'm currently testing the XDMCP functionality of LightDM which seems to
work flawless, however, there is one issue which I cannot resolve:

The machine I am using for my setup is a dedicated machine running some
VM's, these VM's don't have any graphics card associated and run
headless and the only form of command is via a web interface or SSH.

LightDM seems to use the /dev/fb0 device as graphics card, but that does
not exists on a VM.

My queston is, how can I use LightDM to run as a headless XDMCP server
without the need of a physical present graphics card? The configuration
docs did not shed any light on this usage.

Thanks in advance!

Kind regards,

Jeffrey Langerak