[LightDM] custom greeter

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Tue Feb 11 21:35:19 CET 2014

On 12 February 2014 01:23, Zsolt Ero <zsolt at kano.me> wrote:

> At the moment, this is the way I install it (in preferences stable has a
> preference over testing)
> apt-get install gir1.2-lightdm-1 python-gobject lightdm gir1.2-gtk-3.0
> liblightdm-gobject-1-0/testing

I would think that you would also want gir1.2-lightdm-1 to come from
testing to match liblightdm-gobject-1-0 but I guess the packaging
dependencies work this out anyway? Also, while the daemon (lightdm) should
work with newer versions of liblightdm in general it would be safer to have
the same versions of these.

Can you tell me what is the best way to start making the very simple login
> screen of Matt Fischer's example into a full-screen GUI window with avatars?
>
> Should I edit the .ui file with some GUI tool, like Glade? How do you mix
> program logic and GUI, for example when you want to have a GUI with an
> unknown number of users/avatars?

This is more of a general GTK+ development question better solved
elsewhere. I'd recommend looking at some existing greeters [1] [2] which
use user icons for ideas on how to implement this. You may also find these
existing greeters already provide closer to what you want.

--Robert

[1] https://launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter
[2] https://launchpad.net/pantheon-greeter