[LightDM] Autologin (lightdm) questions

poma pomidorabelisima at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 23:39:30 PDT 2014

On 10.07.2014 10:28, poma wrote:
> On 10.07.2014 05:58, poma wrote:
>>
>> OK, from the user's perspective, I found why "auto(re)login-user=" && "auto(re)login-user-timeout=" works, that is why doesn't work.
>> In practice when using the 'lightdm-gtk-greeter', user displayed, that is selected, won't be automatically logged, unlike all others which are configured to do so.
>> Or simply using a "greeter-hide-users=true" directive, all users configured to do so will be automatically logged, in timely manner.
>> And that's it.
>>

> In the case this is related to the 'lightdm-gtk-greeter' I think it's fair to also inform LightDM Gtk+ Greeter development team.

I see a couple open reports related to this topic at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter
so I'll comment on them to help you understand the real situation on this issue
Here I refer to:
- lightdm-1.11.4
- lightdm-gtk-1.8.5
- >= xfce4-session-4.10.1
- >= systemd-208

1. "xfce autologin is not working"
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter/+bug/1077403

A: It works, with or without password. :)

2. "Auto-login broke in latest release"
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter/+bug/1117893
Ref. "Timed autologin feature not working"
      https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lightdm/+bug/902852

A: This is partly true, as I discovered.
    It works but on one condition, the user who is set to be automatically logged for 1 or more seconds,
    must not be displayed, that is chosen, at the greeter session screen.
    The same applies if the user name is manually entered and then the selected input password field,
    within a given period of time, in seconds.
    By the way this all together sound as lightdm[-gtk-greeter] expects users to be manually logged,
    and therefore blocking automatic login, in timely manner.
    To be honest, this sounds more like a feature rather than a bug. :)

3. "Greeter does not evaluate 'autologin-user-timeout'"
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/lightdm-gtk-greeter/+bug/1222139

A: Same as above mentioned. ;)

Besides it is a session-type unrelated.
And even leaving reserve if this is something specific to a particular distribution,
it seems to me that it really does not matter if you use the above mentioned components
namely their versions.
I hope I helped you at least a little. :)

poma