[LightDM] Autologin (lightdm) questions

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Fri Jul 11 06:42:08 PDT 2014

At Fri, 11 Jul 2014 14:06:35 +1200 Robert Ancell <robert.ancell at gmail.com> wrote:

> In your configuration you've configured the user "catalog" to automatically
> log in after 30s. LightDM starts, it starts a greeter (unity-greeter) which
> then starts authentication for the "heller" user (though it seem to have
> taken ~45s to do this - it should have been immediate). About 10 seconds
> after that you log in as the "catalog" user (can't tell if manually
> selected or automatically by the greeter).

I included the corresponding lightdm.conf file, which has the autologin-user
set to "catalog", so it is *supposed* to autologin as "catalog".

> You can get the greeter log from /var/log/lightdm/x-0-greeter.log and that
> may give you more information if the greeter has a fault. Also worth trying
> is another greeter (e.g. lightdm-gtk-greeter).

This is on my todo list.

> The logs are not giving any indication that "heller" is being treated
> special. The LightDM log appears to be truncated - it's not showing what
> session was run for the "catalog" user so I can't tell what session type it
> chose.

It did not choose any session. It was just sitting there with 'Log in >' in
the password space (instead of 'Password'). I 'captured' the log file as of
that point.

The username 'heller' seems to be considered because that was what was in the
/var/lib/lightdm/.cache/unity-greeter/state file.

I will run some additional tests.  I have cleared out the /var/lib/lightdm/
for  the client workstations and see if that makes any difference -- this
*should* remove the username "heller" from consideration.  I am also
considering creating a 'facked' /var/lib/lightdm/.cache/unity-greeter/state,
pre-initialized with the 'proper' username for the given workstations.

And, yes, I will look into installing a different greeter.

Question: will any greeter installed under Ubuntu 14.04 implement re-autologin
or do I have to override the 'stock' version of lightdm somehow (build and
install from source?).

--
Robert Heller             -- 978-544-6933