[LightDM] splash screen only problem

Andre Klärner kandre at ak-online.be
Mon Nov 17 16:35:33 PST 2014

Hi Vitaly,

On Mon 17.11.2014 19:14:58, Robert Ancell wrote:
> On Tue Nov 18 2014 at 01:15:00 Vitaly Kosenko <vitaly.kosenko at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> > Hello! I used lxdm and want to try awesome window manager. To turn off
> > autostart of lxdm I did:
> >
> > echo  "manual" | sudo tee -a /etc/init/lightdm.override

Actually this is disabling the whole lightdm, so you disable everything.

You want to actually choose your session type from the LightDM greeter.
Depending on the greeter you should have a choice to switch between the
installed sessions, as long as there are multiple.

> > After reboot I see only splash screen and nothing else. Ctrl+Alt+Del only
> > available for reboot. How can I move to terminal to remove
> > /etc/init/lightdm.override? And how can I turn off autostart of lxdm
> > correctly and boot only with console?

Boot into the rescue mode from the bootloader - or use a LiveCD/USB drive
to access your root filesystem without booting it. Also you could try
SSH'ing into your machine, as longs as you have another device on the same
network as your machine and the SSH server installed. If you have specific
questions about this you can ask me off-list (as this list is about
LightDM).

> What OS / distribution are you using? This question relates to how that
> distribution starts services like LightDM so you will probably get a better
> answer asking on their mailing lists. Service startup is outside the
> control of the LightDM project.

Sounds a lot like Ubuntu - at least the first few google search results for
lightdm.override were on askubuntu and co.

Regards,
Andre

--
Andre Klärner