[LightDM] running lightdm as a user under systemd

Ben Fitzgerald benfitzg at gmail.com
Thu Dec 14 04:19:01 UTC 2017

Hi

I've upgraded to debian stretch from jessie. Before I had two xorg servers,
one on vt7, one on vt8, I'd run lightdm and happily switch between two
virtual terminals, one for use by myself the other by my partner.

After I found this no longer worked, I searched around and found some posts
stating this was now to be done under systemd.

On trying to configure lightdm under systemd user I quickly realised I
needed to just be able to start lightdm from the cmd line as non-root, then
I could port that to systemd format.

Starting lightdm with the following config:

[LightDM]
minimum-vt=7
log-directory=/home/ben/log/lightdm
run-directory=/home/ben/tmp/lightdm
cache-directory=/home/ben/tmp/lightdm
greeters-directory=/usr/share/lightdm/greeters:/usr/share/xgreeters
backup-logs=true

[Seat:*]
xserver-command = /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg.wrap -logfile log/xorg.log -config
xorg_mine.conf -novtswitch
greeter-session=lightdm-gtk-greeter
greeter-hide-users=false # Bug: lightdm-gtk-greeter doesn't load user saved
session when greeter-hide-users=true[1]

[XDMCPServer]

[VNCServer]

lightdm --test-mode --debug -c <config_above>

log file ends:

[+0.01s] DEBUG: Seat seat0: Starting local X display
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 1: Logging to /home/ben/log/lightdm/x-1.log
[+0.01s] DEBUG: XServer 1: Writing X server authority to
/home/ben/tmp/lightdm/root/:1
[+0.05s] DEBUG: XServer 1: Launching X Server
[+0.05s] DEBUG: Launching process 14888: /usr/lib/xorg/Xorg.wrap -logfile
log/xorg.log -config xorg_ben.conf -novtswitch :1 -seat seat0 -auth
/home/ben/tmp/lightdm/root/:1 -nolisten tcp
[+0.05s] DEBUG: XServer 1: Waiting for ready signal from X server :1

Xorg server stays up but lightdm is nowhere to be seen - process has
stopped. As you can see Xorg.wrap is used to setuid root.

I'm left with a blank screen for the Xorg server with nothing connected.
Lightdm is not coring.

Hope the question isn't too garbled, this is all rather new and after
sinking several hours into this I'm having to ask for help.

Regards,

Ben.

Ben Fitzgerald