[LightDM] LightDM and Ubuntu

Robert Ancell robert.ancell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 26 05:57:05 UTC 2017

Hi all,

As you might be aware the Ubuntu desktop has decided to switch to using
GNOME and this means we will be using GDM instead of LightDM [1].
Unfortunately this means there is likely to be a reduction in development
effort from Canonical.

However, I want to assure you that we are not abandoning LightDM:
- We continue to ship LightDM in our existing Ubuntu desktop releases and
we will support those for many years to come (see below).
- Many Ubuntu derivatives use LightDM and we continue to support them in
doing that.
- Ultimately we think that LightDM is the right cross-desktop solution for
display management, it's just not something we can make use of in Ubuntu
desktop at this time. Who knows how the future will pan out :)

I will continue to do release management for LightDM and review and merge
branches as I can. If anyone else is capable and interested in helping out
with these jobs I'd love to hear from you - I don't want to be a blocker on
development just because my focus is elsewhere.

The currently supported LightDM releases are:
1.20 - July 2017 (i.e. expiring very soon!)
1.22 - January 2018
1.10 - April 2019
1.18 - April 2021

--Robert