[LightDM] LightDM without X

Adrian Vovk adrianvovk at gmail.com
Wed Jun 19 20:44:41 UTC 2019

Hello all,

I'm in the process of making my own distro & DE, and I need a login
manager. My OS *does not* include XOrg at all, except for XWayland. Does
LightDM have the ability to run the greeter on Wayland without starting
XOrg? The documentation doesn't mention the ability to run without X11 (nor
does it seem to mention that X11 is required for that matter), and it seems
that X is a dependency of LightDM. If LightDM didn't require X, the greeter
itself could be a Wayland compositor that LightDM starts and interacts
with. Is this supported/planned in any way?

Thank you,
Adrian Vovk