[Mesa-announce] [Mesa-dev] Mesa 13.0.0 release plan (Was Re: Mesa 12.1.0 release plan (Was Re: Next Mesa release, anyone?))

Timothy Arceri timothy.arceri at collabora.com
Fri Sep 30 02:31:36 UTC 2016

On Thu, 2016-09-29 at 19:17 -0700, Jason Ekstrand wrote:

> > On Sep 29, 2016 5:14 PM, "Timothy Arceri" <timothy.arceri at collabora.c
om> wrote:

> > > Thanks Marek !

> > > 12.1.
>

> > I believe the release should be 13?? Core Mesa and the Intel driver
>
> > > have reached 4.4 this release also core Mesa is now at 4.5 despite
not

> > being enabled anywhere.
12.1.  The 12.0 release was the biggest release we've had in a long
time and it seems odd to me to jump to 13.0 right away when we really
haven't done much at all in terms of new features. (I think it's only
2 or 3 desktop features in the case of Intel.  A bit more on the ES
side I guess).

My understanding is the major version has only ever been bumped when
full support for a new desktop OpenGL version has been reached
regardless of the number of extensions enabled. We did the same thing
going from 8.0 > 9.0 were as the 7 release went all the way to 7.11
over a 4 year period. It seems odd to change the way we bump versions
at this point in time, although in future maybe it will need to be
based on Vulkin versions also.

mesa-dev at lists.freedesktop.org