[Mesa-dev] GLSL compiler bug with vmware workstation 6.5

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Wed Apr 21 07:01:45 PDT 2010

Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:
> I recently tried the r300g driver with vmware to see if it would be
> possible to get 3D acceleration going in a guest OS without using
> fglrx.  Unfortunately, vmware-vmx hangs with:
>
> libGL: OpenDriver: trying
> /home/adamk/saved/source/mesa/lib64/gallium//r300_dri.so
> libGL: Can't open configuration file /etc/drirc: No such file or directory.
> vmware-vmx: shader/slang/slang_compile.c:665: parse_layout_qualifiers:
> Assertion `0 && "Bad layout qualifier"' failed.
>
> I brought it up on #radeon and was told that it's a GLSL compiler bug,
> and I should mention it here.
>
> I'll go ahead and open up a bug report if that's the best course of
> action, but I wanted to post it here first.  If there's anyway to get
> extra debugging information or if there's anything someone would like
> tested, just let me know.

Hmmm, I run Worksation on Mesa drivers all the time and haven't seen this.

Are you using Mesa from git/master or the 7.8 release or ...?

One thing you could do is log all the shaders to files to try to find
the shader causing trouble.  Do "export MESA_GLSL=log" then run
Workstation.  You should wind up with a bunch of shader log files with
names of the form shader_N.vert and shader_N.frag  The last one will
probably be the one of interest.

-Brian