[Mesa-dev] Mesa devel requiring Python

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Thu Apr 29 08:54:13 PDT 2010

Was: "Merging GLES1/2 to mesa/main"

Chia-I Wu wrote:
> 2010/4/29 Kristian Høgsberg <krh at bitplanet.net>:

>> Yeah, I noticed... I don't have a good answer.  I guess core mesa
>> doesn't generate on the fly because we don't want to require python as
>> part of the build process(?) and also so that when we distribute mesa,
>> all the files are in the tarball.  I don't know if we can move to just
>> generate everything, but we can always just generate the es1 and es2
>> api files and commit them.  That would solve the ordering issue you
>> mention below too.

> I am not a fan of having generated sources in git, but I don't have a strong
> opinion here.  Especially when I do not have a better solution :)
>
> Ideally, I would like to have python a requirement for developers.  And those
> sources are generated when making a release tarball so that python is not a
> requirement for users.

I'd be in favor of that (requiring Python to build Mesa).  Afterall,
it's already needed for building with SCons.

Karl Schultz (if you're reading this), would this be hard to deal with
on Windows with MSVC project files?

Also note that we have some lex/yacc-generated files in Mesa too.  I'd
leave those as-is for now.

-Brian