[Mesa-dev] talloc (Was: Merge criteria for glsl2 branch)

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 04:10:37 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 9:00 PM, José Fonseca <jfonseca at vmware.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-08-11 at 17:40 -0700, Dave Airlie wrote:

>> > Having the GLEW source was quite useful for windows. I guess the lesson
>> > would not be not ship source, but only build it if necessary. If talloc
>> > source is not needed for Linux then we can just build it when absent.
>> > You can even ignore it from automake.
>>
>> Can't you guys setup a separate windows deps repo? that you gather all
>> the prereqs for building on Windows
>> in one place and recommend people check it out before mesa?
>
> Unfortunately there is no standard way to install headers and libraries
> in windows -- there's no /usr/include or /usr/lib, and there might be
> multiple MSVC versions. There are ways around it, sure. Might be worth
> giving a shot eventually.
>
>> Really optimising for the wrong bunch of people here by dragging this
>> stuff into mesa git.
>
> Many projects do this: they include the source of other projects, to
> make it easier to build without having to build all dependencies.

We spend a lot of time unbundling stuff in projects because its a
really bad model, esp for things like security updates. What happens
if the version of talloc we ship ends up a with a problem and nobody
is tracking upstream and notices the issue, this doesn't scale, at
some point you have to draw a line, again you have 0 experience with
packaging mesa for its main purpose and use case, so excuse me if I
dismiss the rest of your pithy comments.

talloc is a bit different than glew I can accept that, since glew
isn't a mesa build req, but should we start shipping bison, flex etc,
is it only build reqs or runtime reqs? it would be nice instead of
being an ass you perhaps helped draw up some guidelines with all the
other Windows folks.

Dave.