[Mesa-dev] Mesa symbol visibility

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 06:52:49 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 2:07 AM, Kevin H. Hobbs <hobbsk at ohiou.edu> wrote:
> On 08/11/2010 05:18 PM, tom fogal wrote:
>> Right. This is exactly why Mesa's name mangling exists.
>> You mean you haven't been mangling this whole time?  I guess I haven't
>> been reading these mails closely enough.
>>
>> -tom
>>

> It just seems perverse to have to use name mangling to deal with the
> effects of adding -fvisibility=hidden.

Well, to be fair you were mostly getting lucky with a special case.
Like Ian says, trying to link with 2 different OpenGL libraries is a
little dicey. People building a DRI-enabled GL weren't offered this
possibility. Still, I feel bad that we didn't think of this issue at
the time.

A possible compromise here would be to put glX* stubs in OSMesa, but
_that_ seems perverse, too.

> Maybe if name mangling really is required now the whole
> "--with-driver=xlib produces libGL.so and libOSMesa.so in one pas"
> should be disabled.

I'd kind of like to have OSMesa just be --{enable,disable}-osmesa
since it's completely standalone now. It would make some of the build
code less scary, too.

--
Dan