[Mesa-dev] talloc (Was: Merge criteria for glsl2 branch)

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 02:03:06 PDT 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Aras Pranckevicius <aras at unity3d.com> wrote:
>> > But I perceive talloc as different from all above: it's very low level
>> > and low weight library, providing very basic functionality, and upstream
>> > never showed interest for Windows portability. I'd really prefer to see
>> > the talloc source bundled (and only compiled on windows), as a quick way
>> > to have glsl2 merged without causing windows build failures.
>>
>> This seems like a reasonable compromise.  Is this something that you and
>> / or Aras can tackle?  I don't have a Windows build system set up, so I
>> wouldn't be able to test any build system changes that I made.
>
> Ok, looks like how/if to bundle talloc is still a very open question. In the
> meantime, here's talloc 2.0.1 made to compile (and possibly work!) with
> Visual C++ 2008 (Windows) and Xcode/gcc4.0 (Mac).
> I've attached the modified talloc.c & talloc.h and the patch from original
> talloc 2.0.1 (from here http://samba.org/ftp/talloc/). Caveat emptor: I only
> verified this to work on my own GLSL2 fork, which does not compile in GLSL2
> preprocessor, only the compiler & optimizer.
> Like I said before, "full port" of talloc seems to be not needed for
> compiling on Visual C++; just drop in talloc.h & talloc.c into the project
> and that's it. Same for Mac with Xcode. It also seems that GLSL2 does not
> use full talloc's functionality, and at least half of the implementation
> could be dropped without anyone noticing. Just a note for if/when anyone
> would try to re-implement talloc with Mesa's license.

Be careful about LGPLv3 rules,

If you are distributing anything linked with an LGPL library without
accompanying source you need to dynamically link it,

So for example a Windows driver or non open compiler, you can't just
drop the LGPLv3 c+h files into the project, you need to create a
dynamic library.

Dave.