[Mesa-dev] gallium & texture rectangles

Keith Whitwell keithw at vmware.com
Wed Aug 18 07:45:34 PDT 2010

On Tue, 2010-08-17 at 13:16 -0700, Luca Barbieri wrote:
> > Using a flag instead of a new texture target allows to avoid hundreds of
> > changes to existing code, and allows drivers for modern hardware to
> > just ignore this flag.
> I grepped a bit through the code, and a new texture target seems
> easier than expected: apparently there are only about 36 checks for
> PIPE_TEXTURE_2D (grepping for
> ([!=]=.*PIPE_TEXTURE_2D|PIPE_TEXTURE_2D.*[!=]=|case.*PIPE_TEXTURE_2D)).
>
> It's still going to be more intrusive than a flag that almost
> everything just ignores (and with much greater risk of introducing
> bugs), but it could perhaps be an option, if the consensus is to add a
> new target.

A new texture target is much less surprising than any of these other
suggestions.  GL describes this behaviour as a texture target and its
meaning is well understood.

I think modifying 36 usages is pretty manageable, it's a one time cost
and keeps gallium within a set of concepts with which people are already
familiar.

I appreciate all the work you've put into looking at alternatives, but
at this stage I'm going to be firm - if PIPE_TEXTURE_RECT can be made to
work, that's the direction we should be taking.  I haven't seen anything
so far that suggests it isn't a feasible approach.

So if that's ok, let's start from a minimal suggestion and really try to
avoid letting complexity creep into the interface design.

What about this for a starting poing:
   - PIPE_TEXTURE_RECT texture target, following GL semantics
   - PIPE_CAP_TEXTURE_2D_NPOT  (nv30 should not advertise this)

Is there anything more you actually require right now?

Keith