[Mesa-dev] glslcompiler build failure

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Fri Aug 20 01:00:58 PDT 2010

Hi Tom!

We built a new standalone compiler as part of glsl2 - it should be built as
src/glsl/glsl_compiler.  You might want to take a look at that.  It takes a
few options:
  --dump-ast	...prints out the abstract syntax tree (GLSL source)
  --dump-hir	...prints out high level IR (before lowering & optimization)
  --dump-lir	...prints out low lever IR (optimized)
  --link		...attempts to link the given files

For testing an individual shader, you can just run:
  glsl_compiler --dump-lir foo.frag

If you want to run piglit's glslparsertest using the standalone compiler,
create a symlink from piglit/tests/glslparsertest/glslcompiler ->
mesa/src/glsl/glsl_compiler.  Then, run:
  ./piglit-run.py -x valgrind tests/external-glslparser.tests results

Of course, that only tests parsing...usually, if I want to test shader
execution, I'll create a new .shader_test file and use piglit's shader_runner.

I actually hadn't seen src/mesa/drivers/glslcompiler before.  Is it worth
keeping?  I imagine we could fold anything useful into the new compiler.

I hope this helps!
--Kenneth