[Mesa-dev] demos / glew configure bug

tom fogal tfogal at alumni.unh.edu
Thu Jul 15 07:16:47 PDT 2010

Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> writes:
> On 07/15/2010 03:22 AM, Dave Airlie wrote:

> >> I'm traveling right now, but I believe the problem is that mesa does
> >> not install a glew.pc pkgconfig file. [. . .]
[snip]
> >> I don't have a chance to fix this for another week or so, but it
> >> needs a little fixing on the mesa side for glew to be a fully
> >> installed library like gl or glu.
> >
> > Well we don't generally install glew from Mesa, we use glew from
> > upstream in Fedora for example, it now install a pc file, since
> > 1.5.4 I think.

Yes, please do not install a glew.pc from Mesa.  This will make things
confusing over the long term.

On the same note, we shouldn't install GLEW either; last I checked Mesa
was doing so.  I will double check this && look into removing that.

> Just FYI: I just installed the latest Fedora 13 this week and glew is
> at version 1.5.2.  There was no .pc file in the RPM.

I think it was Eric Anholt that recently contributed a .pc file for
GLEW.  It should have made 1.5.5, which was just released and thus I'm
not surprised there's no .pc's in package managers yet.

Over the short term, I'd say configure should just assume
"${GLEW_LIBS}" works, and default that to "-lGLEW".  If it doesn't
work, users can set the var manually.  Longer term, we can rely on
GLEW's included .pc and this'll be a moot issue.

-tom