[Mesa-dev] TGSI thoughts

Zack Rusin zackr at vmware.com
Wed Jul 28 07:25:23 PDT 2010

On Wednesday 28 July 2010 06:26:39 Marek Olšák wrote:
> Going from GL2.1 to GL1.5 just because some hardware can't do ddx and ddy
> seems a bit silly to me.

I'm not quite sure what do you mean here, derivatives have been present in
GLSL since 1.1 so realistically hardware without them can't support any
version of GLSL.

> PS3.0 doesn't have address regs, that means there are no ARL/ARR/ARA
> opcodes. Are you sure these must be mandatory? Please see:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb172920%28VS.85%29.aspx

I was saying that they are mandatory for Gallium, not that semantically they
are mandatory for everyone (also as Keith pointed out they are there in
VS3.0). Long term, especially with GPGPU it would probably make sense to make
our indirect addressing more robust but for now it is what it is.

> PUSHA, POPA, and pack/unpack opcodes are not in SM3.0 either.

Like I said the pack/unpack are probably least useful from the list and kept
largely for the "we might need them one day" reason. I don't think anyone
would miss those but since no one really even touches them they don't seem to
bother anyone badly enough to do something about it.