[Mesa-dev] RFC: Drop glew from mesa

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Tue Jun 8 20:27:09 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 8, 2010 at 6:13 PM, Jakob Bornecrantz <wallbraker at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 2:41 AM, Dan Nicholson <dbn.lists at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> I'm sure we can also make automake detect if glu and glut is installed
>>> and use the system ones instead of the ones shipping within the demos
>>> repo (also overridden with a option).
>>
>> What I'd like to do sooner or later is add *-uninstalled.pc files to
>> the repo to support the "I want to link the demos against the libGL in
>> my mesa tree" case that I figure lots of developers use. Then you
>> could just do PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$HOME/src/mesa and the demo tree would
>> never know the difference.
>
> Or just use GL_CFLAGS=-I$HOME/src/mesa/include
> GL_LDFLAGS=-L$HOME/src/mesa/lib ./configure, but I guess the
> *-uninstalled.pc is less typing. Tho can .pc point to directories
> relative to the location of the .pc file?

I'm not 100% sure how it works, but here's an example:

http://git.gnome.org/browse/glib/tree/glib-2.0-uninstalled.pc.in

I think the "relative to .pc file" part is ${pcfiledir}, although
${pc_top_builddir} is confusing me.

> That will help for linking but not running without setting up
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH, tho I know automake can generate wrapper scripts if
> you use progname_LDADD = my_lib.la that picks up the right library at
> run time (see drm.git/tests/kmstest). I dunno if it will do the right
> thing with libraries added via AM_LDFLAGS, or ones external to the
> current build.

This is actually a libtool generated wrapper script. It's one of the
really nice features of libtool, and it usually works pretty well for
both internal and external libraries.

--
Dan