[Mesa-dev] TGSI ISA formalization

Zack Rusin zackr at vmware.com
Thu Jun 17 01:59:25 PDT 2010

> So I've gone ahead and pushed some more doc patches, and I'll probably
> push more later too. One of them is 8b548846, which changes the TGSI
> ISA listing to be grouped by caps. The bits I've guessed at are:
>
> ~ Core
> ~ Compute
> ~ Geometry
> ~ GLSL
> ~ Double

That doesn't make much sense to me, all those sets contain portion if not
everything from the other set. If anything the instructions should be divided
into something like:
1) move
2) arithmetic
   - integer
   - floating point
   - double
3) bitwise
4) resource access (sampling, tex instructions, ld etc done in the resources branch)
5) raster instructions (e.g. kill)
6) conditions (sge etc.)
7) control flow (bgnloop, call, end, if etc)
8) primitives (emit, end_primitivive)
9) type conversion

Figuring out which state trackers use which for what purposes is a different problem.
It could be noted in the instructions docs what uses it, but I doubt we'll be able to keep
that up to date.