[Mesa-dev] so the development model is working?

José Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Sun May 2 04:07:16 PDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 09:42 -0700, Corbin Simpson wrote:
> I think the big problem is the disconnect between VMWare and the rest
> of the developers in terms of communication. We all are on IRC
> extensively but at least Brian, Keith, Jose, and Vinson are not.
> Coincidentally, these are the people I need to talk to when I need to
> talk about Gallium API, and so I have to go send off an email. This is
> kinda frustrating because everybody else that I can think of is on
> IRC, even if only sporadically. A lot of times, I feel like I'm
> working with patchsets tossed over a firewall. :C

I tried to be on IRC many times. It works for a few days. Then
unconsciously or consciously I stop running the client.

I barely keep up with mail nowadays, so I think it would be pointless to
try again.

mesa-dev is actually one of the places I'm most responsive. More than
private mails regarding other open source projects I'm on.

> Of course, feel free to disregard me. I maintain drivers that nobody
> appears to care about besides Phoronix, and my next Mesa code bits are
> drivers for the Wii and Pollux, and another Python state tracker that
> I'm writing on purely silly reasons.

I've been maintaining the Python state tracker alone. I'm very close of
abandon it and just rewrite gallium tests/tools on C with graw, as
everybody here is a strong C developer but few understand Python
internals or SWIG bindings, and I understand the bare minimum that
allowed me to write the existing python state tracker.

So if it is not purely silly reasons I'd like to lump efforts, or pass
the stick to you.

Jose