[Mesa-dev] so the development model is working?

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Mon May 3 11:17:30 PDT 2010

On Mon, May 3, 2010 at 2:09 PM, Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:

> Well, never let it be said that I'm inflexible.  I'm conceding on the
> dev model debate.  It's more important to have happy developers
> contributing to produce stable drivers than to debate the merits of
> dev model A vs. B.  For me, cherry picking will be more work than
> merging, but again, that's not as important as having a productive
> community.
>
> I request two things in return, however:
>
> 1. That those of you who've argued for the cherry-pick model actually
> follow through on your intentions.  As Ian mentioned, he and I and
> Eric were nearly the only ones doing cherry picks when we
> tried it that way.  If it turns out you're just giving lip-service to
> the cherry-pick model and don't actually follow-through on it, I'll be
> miffed and this whole discussion and policy change will have been for
> nothing.  If I see that happening, I'll call you out on it.
>
> 2. Document your major fixes in the release notes.  This doesn't have
> to be done for every fix; you can do it en masse or whatever.  I think
> it's important that users can get some idea of what's in a new
> release and we need to do a better job of that.
>
> I think it's worth exploring a policy of somehow tagging commits as
> candidates for back-porting to the stable branch so they can be some level
> of accounting and tracking.  I don't think we need to work that out
> immediately though.

On this point, it might be useful to update a cherry-pick wiki when
you do cherry-pick commits back to the stable branch.  That way when
it comes time for the next stable point release, we can refer to the
list to update the release notes (or even link to the page from the
release notes for finer grained details).  Thoughts?

Alex