[Mesa-dev] Build failure since May 6

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Mon May 10 10:08:06 PDT 2010

On 05/10/2010 11:56 AM, tom fogal wrote:

> I recommend you check out the "build_mesa" function in:
>
>   http://portal.nersc.gov/svn/visit/trunk/src/svn_bin/build_visit
>
> There's a lot we can do to make the whole VTK, Mesa/mangled or no,
> and VisIt/ParaView stack more amenable to compilation / easier to get
> going.  Let me know if you are interested in dividing up some of that
> work.
>
> Cheers,
>
> -tom

The builds I submit to the VTK and ParaView dashboards all use Mesa and
OSMesa without direct rendering as the only GL.

These builds all use the make files included with Mesa and not the
autoconf method.

Mesa is built with

make linux-x86-64

This is the only way I've ever found to get VTK and ParaView working on
and off screen.

I've never had Mangled Mesa work with VTK.

Nor have I had Mesa built with the configure scripts work on and off
screen with VTK.

I even remember some mess in a .spec file where mesa was built with DRI
installed and then OSMesa was built and installed. That didn't work either.

If there's another way I'd love to hear it, and I'll do whatever I can
to help.

I'm sure I don't fully understand the build_mesa function in the
build_visit script but it seems like it's doing name mangling and such
to support accelerated onscreen and mesa offscreen rendering in a single
VTK build.

All I really want is Mesa with OSMesa from the development repository as
the "reference" library for my VTK and ParaView nightly test builds.