[Mesa-dev] Build failure since May 6

Kevin H. Hobbs hobbsk at ohiou.edu
Fri May 14 08:25:10 PDT 2010

On 05/14/2010 10:58 AM, Brian Paul wrote:
> Kevin H. Hobbs wrote:
>>
>> 1. a build of Mesa where only libOSMesa.so is produced?
>>
>> 2. a build of Mesa where libGL.so and libOSMesa.so are produced but the
>> dynamic linker will need no symbols from libGL.so in order to load
>> libOSMesa.so?
>>
>> 3. a build of Mesa where libGL.so and libOSMesa.so are produced but the
>> dynamic linker will need symbols from libGL.so in order to load
>> libOSMesa.so.
>>

> I don't think many people still make use of that feature.  I think it's
> more common to build Mesa with name mangling to do OSMesa rendering with
> the mgl* functions and hardware rendering through the gl* functions
> (with any vendor's libGL).

The advice I got from the ParaView developers (I think it was Berk
Geveci) was to skip name mangling of Mesa and build the PV client with
vendor libGL.so and build the PV server with Mesa/OSMesa.

This is for the situation where you have many server processes on hosts
without monitors, graphics hardware, or an Xserver, and a client with
all of those things.