[Mesa-dev] Wayland on 945 (was Re: Ubuntu PPA)

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Thu Nov 18 00:38:15 PST 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 18:17:47 -0800, Bryce Harrington <bryce at canonical.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 09, 2010 at 08:46:46PM +0800, Arthur Zhu wrote:
> > Have you compiled with --enable-debug option to get more information from
> > MESA?
> >
> > What's your INTEL chipset?
> > arthur at arthur-laptop:/sys/class/drm/card0/device$ cat device
> > 0x0046
>
> [Sorry, been busy past week; death in the family]
>
> Turns out I'd initially been testing this on an 945GME netbook
> (8086:27ae), and from what I've been told, the 945 arch doesn't natively
> support programmable function shaders or something, and thus can't
> support full opengl es 2.0 support.  Is this accurate?

It doesn't support arbitrary-length shaders, but other than that it's
fine hardware-wise.  On the software side, with the Mesa driver you get
GLES 2.0, but some shaders that could compile will fail and those issues
should get fixed (it's in the plans, we've got testcases, it's just a
prioritization question).