[Mesa-dev] Mesa (master): mesa: Validate assembly shaders when GLSL shaders are used

tom fogal tfogal at sci.utah.edu
Thu Oct 14 16:24:47 PDT 2010

Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> writes:
> Brian Paul wrote:

> >> If possible, I'd prefer not. [. . .]
> >
> > My concern here is people will get lazy and just use int
> > everywhere.  Using GL types such as GLuint, GLint, GLboolean and
> > GLbitfield convey useful information about the variables declared
> > with those types.
>
> There are a few GL types that actually have useful semantic
> information.  The others were just ways to request types of a
> specific size (e.g.,  GLint must be a 32-bit integer).  With
> inttypes.h and stdbool.h those types no longer serve any purpose.
> They just make code that uses OpenGL look different from code that
> doesn't use OpenGL.
>
> > For example, if I see "int buffers_used" I have to wonder if
> > it's really a boolean or a bitfield or a count (and what if it's
> > negative?).  I don't have that problem if the GL types are used.
>
> GLint vs. GLuint doesn't provide any advantage over int vs. unsigned.
> Looking at the number of 'comparison between signed and unsigned
> integer expressions' warnings (over 600 in my build) in Mesa, it's
> pretty clear that we're doing it very wrong anyway.

One thing that bytes (ha!) us now and again is GL's broken "sizei"
type, which is *signed*.  Ugh.

As an app developer, GL types are dumb.  They don't provide any
advantages, and they add the additional step of casting your data
before you send it to the GL.  Nobody is going to standardize on
'GLfloat', for example, because your I/O code being cognizant of
graphics is stupid (not to mention the desired abstraction for a DX
backend).

I guess this is technically broken -- "... for example, GL type int is
referred to as GLint outside this document, *and is not necessarily
equivalent to the C type int*." (emph. added, from gl3.1 spec, page
16).  That said, if they didn't line up I bet so many apps would break
that GL driver authors don't really have a choice, but that's another
story...

Back to my main thread: I wish these types would just die, and GL would
switch to the semi-std int8_t, uint32_t, etc. types.  I'd vote the GL
types exist only at interfaces, for what my vote's worth.

(That said, there are a few types: bitfield, half, clampf, and clampd,
which convey unique information and might be nice to keep around.)

-tom