[Mesa-dev] Proposal for a long-term shader compiler (and IR) architecture

Keith Whitwell keith.whitwell at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 10:52:35 PDT 2010

On Mon, Oct 18, 2010 at 9:18 AM, Jerome Glisse <j.glisse at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 7:44 PM, John Kessenich <johnk at lunarg.com> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> LunarG has decided to work on an open source, long-term, highly-functional,
>> and modular shader and kernel compiler stack. Attached is our high-level
>> proposal for this compiler architecture (LunarGLASS).  We would like to
>> solicit feedback from the open source community on doing this.
>> I have read several posts here where it seems the time has come for
>> something like this, and in that spirit, I hope this is consistent with the
>> desire and direction many contributors to this list have already alluded to.
>> Perhaps the biggest point of the proposal is to standardize on LLVM as an
>> intermediate representation.  This is actually done at two levels within the
>> proposal; one at a high-level IR close to the source language and one at a
>> low-level IR close to the target architecture.  The full picture is in the
>> attached document.
>> Based on feedback to this proposal, our next step is to more precisely
>> define the two forms of LLVM IR.
>> Please let me know if you have any trouble reading the attached, or any
>> questions, or any feedback regarding the proposal.
>> Thanks,
>> JohnK
>

> Just a quick reply (i won't have carefully read through this proposition before
> couple weeks) last time i check LLVM didn't seemed to fit the bill for GPU,
> newer GPU can be seen as close to scalar but not completely, there are
> restriction on instruction packing and the amount of data computation
> unit of gpu can access per cycle, also register allocation is different
> from normal CPU, you don't wan to do register peeling on GPU. So from
> my POV instruction scheduling & packing and register allocation are
> interlace process (where you store variable impact instruction packing).
> Also on newer gpu it makes sense to use a mixed scalar/vector representation
> to preserve things like dot product. Last loop, jump, function have kind
> of unsual restriction unlike any CPU (thought i haven't broad CPU knowledge)
>
> Bottom line is i don't think LLVM is anywhere near what would help us.

I think this is the big question mark with this proposal -- basically
can it be done?

I believe John feels the answer to that is yes, it can, with some
work.  From my point of view, I think I need to actually see it - but
it sounds like this is what John is saying they're going to do.

At a high level, LLVM is very compelling - there's a lot of work going
on for it, a lot of people enhancing it, etc.  Now, if it's possible
to leverage that for shader compilation, I think that's very
interesting.

So basically I think it's necessary to figure out what would
constitute evidence that LLVM is capable of doing the job, and make
getting to that point a priority.

If it can't be done, we'll find out quickly, if it can then we can
stop debating whether or not it's possible.

Keith