[Mesa-dev] glsl2: Remove generated files from git

Miles Bader miles at gnu.org
Tue Sep 7 18:23:07 PDT 2010

Ian Romanick <idr at freedesktop.org> writes:
>> How about putting "generated" files like that into a separate
>> subdirectory (e.g. ".../prebuilt"), which is ignored by the non-windows
>> builds?
>>
>> Then on windows, it can simply do "cp .../prebuilt/foo .../foo" instead
>> of generating the file using bison or whatever.
>
> Most (all?) of the people working on the flex and bison files are on
> Linux.  Because of that, I can almost guarantee the special "for
> Windows" copies that aren't used on Linux will lag.  In some ways,
> that's even worse because we'll likely end up with various types of
> spurious bug reports from people trying to build on Windows.

Er, but that's no different than the status quo, which apparently
already has pre-generated files, albeit with an annoying
conflict-generating name.  [In fact, you seem to be the person arguing
that the pre-generated files are necessary!]

If it's decided that it's acceptable to require windows users to have
bison etc, installed, and to get rid of the pre-generated files in git,
then great, all problems are solved.  If that's not acceptable though,
and it's decided that pre-generated files should be kept, it seems nice
to at least avoid the current annoying conflicts for the vast majority
that are using linux ... right?

-Miles

--
Mayonnaise, n. One of the sauces that serve the French in place of a state
religion.